Allergies Making You Miserable? Don’t Risk Your Health and Happiness.
When you suffer from allergies, you’re always just a second away from having a bright, beautiful day turn into an itchy, stuffy, miserable mess. A walk down the street, eating at a restaurant, getting stung by an insect, or coming in contact with a latex glove can completely disrupt your world without you knowing the true cause or how to prevent it. Before you know it, you break out in hives, your face begins to swell, and your nose starts to run.
Allergy symptoms can make your days miserable and take a toll on your long-term health. They can even be life-threatening (anaphylaxis). Each year, around 200,000 people in the U.S. are sent to the emergency room due to an allergic reaction (1). These hospital visits and the scary, painful reactions these patience experience to allergens are almost always preventable.
If you’re experiencing allergy symptoms, you should consult with your doctor immediately. Learn about the potential causes of your allergies here.
Get answers! Have your allergies tested and diagnosed by the professionals at Illinois Sinus Center. Schedule your appointment by clicking below or continue reading about allergy testing and diagnosis.
What tests diagnose allergies?
Based on your doctor’s recommendations, one or several allergy tests may be ordered to diagnose your allergies properly. Tests can be conducted in your physician’s office or at a hospital due to the risk of a severe reaction, while rare.
Allergy tests that can diagnose your allergies include:
Skin Tests -
- Prick: Allergens are applied to your skin through a “prick.” Your skin’s reaction to the allergen will reveal if you have an allergic reaction and to what degree.
- Intradermal: Allergens can also be placed under your skin through intradermal testing, which is known to be more sensitive than a prick test. Intradermal is often used to test for your reaction to insect stings.
- Patch: Skin patch tests involve placing allergens on pads and taping them to your skin. This test is ordered to determine if you have eczema (contact dermatitis) caused by several allergens.
Blood Tests -
- IgE/RAST: Allergies occur when your immune system’s antibodies fight against allergens that they deem to be harmful to your health. The RAST test analyzes your antibodies to see what you’re allergic to.
These are the most common types of tests, although your care provider may also test for food and medication allergies using alternative tests.
Take the first step towards relief: how Illinois Sinus Center diagnoses your allergens
Don’t continue to suffer from your allergies while not knowing what you’re reacting to. Schedule an appointment with Illinois Sinus Center today to learn what allergies you have and what steps you can take to reduce and eliminate the symptoms you experience when exposed to them.
Our allergy specialists will do the following to give you the answers you need:
- Ask detailed questions
- Learn about your allergy history
- Discuss allergy signs and symptoms
- Perform an examination
- Order tests
- Present results and create a treatment plan with you
We care about your health and look forward to working with you to put worries and dangerous allergic reactions in your past. Don’t wait until your next allergic reaction to act. Reserve your appointment with Illinois Sinus Center today!
Reserve Your Appointment